Week 14: Megg, Mogg, and Owl

I chose this comic to read because I was immediately attracted to the art. I know you aren't supposed to judge a book by its cover, but I couldn't help myself. The art is bright, fun, and quite unlike any other comic I have seen. This is a deeply rich comic strip in large part because it feels so genuine. You have to wonder how many of these stories are torn from Simon Hanselmann’s personal life. In this volume Megg deals with some very serious depression and her relationship with Mogg is pushed to the edge. There isn’t anything else like this series on the stands, which makes this a comic to definitely check out. It’s dirty, with lots of drug, sex and adult themes. It’s also incredibly funny, but at the same time hits at a serious core I think many can relate to. Using a werewolf, a talking owl, a witch, and a talking cat, Hanselmann has created a world we can relate to without any judgment. There is real insight into human nature, social norms, depression, and identity.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Week 15: Revision

Week 10: Astro Boy

Week 12: She-Hulk